I hope this message finds everyone well as we enter the last month of school. It is hard to believe that this school year is already coming to a close!
Last week the boosters mailed out over 40 invitations to incoming freshmen for our first annual DHS Signing Night! This is an evening designed to welcome the rising 8th grade students into the CPMB. Much like “National Signing Day” for highs school athletes, we want to acknowledge and celebrate the decision these students have made to join our family. At the end of the night they will leave with all of their official DHS Band “Gear” as well as their music for next years show, and a spot on the field with their band mates. This event will take place on Tuesday May 17th and I would love to have to all of the current members of the CPMB in attendance to help make this night extremely special for our new family members!
For those of you that don’t already know, the DHS Wind Ensemble received straight superior ratings at their State Performance Assessment on April 21st! This is a tremendous accomplishment as we were one of only two Hillsborough County bands to earn this rating. In addition, the band also earned the Otto J. Kraushaar Award! This prestigious award is only given to band programs that have earned straight superior ratings at all district and state music assessment throughout the year. I am also pleased to say, Durant was the only music program in Hillsborough County to earn this award. I hope all of you are as proud of our students as I am!
Here is an overview of some upcoming events over next week:
· Tuesday, May 3rd – Wednesday May, 4th – Friday May, 6th – and Monday May 10th – Student Leadership Team Interviews will be conducted after school on these dates. The sign up sheet for times is posted on my office window. All students applying for lead team need to sign up for a time need to sign up for a time.
· Tuesday, May 3rd – Tomorrow evening, the Mulrennan, Mann and Burns Middle school jazz ensembles will be giving a concert here at DHS. The DHS jazz ensemble will also be performing! The cost of admission is FREE so come on out and support these hardworking students!
· Thursday, May 5th – DHS Drum Major Auditions – All members of the CPMB need to be in attendance as 1) each candidate will be conducting the full ensemble 2) members of the band will the opportunity to ask each candidate questions regarding the role of the DHS Drum Major and 3) each member will also have the chance vote for the candidates they believe will do the best job. The auditions will start at 3:15 and should conclude by 4:30, at the latest.
· Saturday, May 7 – 2016 Band Banquet – This is a very special night where we have the opportunity to come together, as a band family, and celebrate the hard work of the students, parent, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and friends that has aided in our band’s success.
· Sunday, May 8th – HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! There is also a Bay Winds Concert at USF in which we have 7 students participating. Admission is $10 and it is going to be a great concert!
· Tuesday, May 10th – Final Drum Major Auditions – Only those students auditing need to be in attendance. Auditions will begin at 4:00 and should conclude around 5:30.
· Tuesday, May 10th – May Booster meeting at 6:30 in the DHS band room.
· Tuesday, May 10th – Percussion Auditions #3 — 5p to 8 p in the DHS band room.
As always, should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing everyone at the banquet on Saturday and hope all of you have a great week!